Village tour or Minneriya National park
HIRIWADUNNA VILLAGE TOUR
This is a typical countryside experience with a tuk tuk ride to the rural village of Hiriwadunna . The trek begins with a beautiful walk along to a man-made reservoir. You will also experience a boat ride, bullock cart ride, rural vegetable cultivation, paddy fields and enjoy an authentic Sri Lankan lunch at a Village house.
Highlights of this tour
* Hotel Pick up & drop off by a safari jeep
* Canoeing ride in the manmade tank
* Visit to a rural farm house and vegetable garden
* Bird watching opportunity * Bullock cart ride
* Lunch at a Village house Minneriya national park
* In the evening, we go for a safari at Minneriya National Park. Around August & September every year, the receding banks of the MinneriyaLake create one of the unique scenes you will ever see. A mass exodus of elephants create the World famous ‘Minneriya Elephant Gathering‘. A sight to behold and a must see if you happen to visit Sri Lanka!
* One of the most spectacular natural scenes you will ever see! The Elephant Gathering at Minneriya is a sight to behold. During the dry season (July to September) water supplies reduce drastically in this region. To cope with this, the elephants congregate around the Minneriya reservoir where grasses are rich and fertile. The elephants come from areas beyond the reservoir and at times herds with numbers as large as 300 – 400 can be seen.
* For any observer, this is an incredible moment since this is not only a simple elephant migration. The animals here socialize, bathe and even find mates. It is a unique phenomenon of nature and can only be witnessed in this park. In fact, it is so amazing it was recently listed as the Top no. 6 in the Lonely Planets’ guide to wildlife spectacles of the world. This amazing sight is known as ‘The Gathering’ is world famous for its large number of elephants. In the period of drought, the water level drops, revealing a tank bed that allows the grass to grow. During this time The Minneriyareservoir becomes a playground where the elephants can satisfy their water needs.
* The Gathering peaks during August & September at the height of the drought.According to authorities, the Elephant Gathering at Minneriya is the largest grouping of Elephants at one time in Asia. This event probably dates back centuries and the creatures a have done it multiple times but it has only gained mainstream attention quite recently.
Please note that the climb to the top of ‘Lion Rock’ can take up to 90 minutes. Certain parts of the walk are quite steep and should not be attempted by anyone with mobility issues, a heart condition, or breathing difficulties. You may wish to walk part of the way or tuk tuks will also be provided to take you around the base of the fortress
* Remove all head wear and footwear when visiting religious sites.
* Wear appropriate footwear for your rock
* climbing adventure.
* Photograph yourself in a position where the entire ‘Lions Rock’ is shown behind you.
* Don’t forget to carry your water bottles
* Don’t click photographs in places where it is prohibited.
* Pick and Drop off to selected hotel or Airport
* Clean and Air-Condition Luxury Private Tourist Vehicle ( Car or Mini Van )
* Service of a Chauffeur guide lecturer
* Entry Fee at the Visiting sites
* Unlimited Mineral water bottle throughout the tour